Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) or Teflon is a strong and versatile plastic with many uses in the design and fabrication of high-tech products. It’s an excellent electrical and thermal insulator with low friction, making it perfect for use in products that require superior performance. It’s non-toxic and fully chemical inert, making it the go-to plastic material for a wide range of industries, including the food and electronics industry. Polymershapes is proud to offer PTFE plastic in various shapes and sizes to meet your needs, including film and flexible tubing.
Properties of PTFE
Whether you’re in the automotive industry in need of tough, abrasion-resistant plastic for fuel lines or you need a material that can withstand harsh chemicals in the semiconductor industry or in the building & construction industry in need of a low-friction surface, Polytetrafluoroethylene can meet your needs. Here are the properties that make PTFE a versatile material:
- High thermal resistance: PTFE can withstand temperatures up to 500° F (260° C).
- Chemical resistant: PTFE is resistant to almost all chemicals and solvents.
- Non-stick surface: PTFE has a very low friction surface, making it ideal for applications where things need to move smoothly.
- Abrasion resistant: PTFE is an incredibly tough material, making it resistant to abrasion and wear.
- Non-wetting: PTFE is a “hydrophobic” material that does not absorb water. This makes it ideal for applications where water or moisture could be an issue.
- Electrical insulation: PTFE is an excellent electrical insulator.
- Non-toxic: PTFE is a safe material to use in applications where food or beverage contact is possible.
- Available modified and filled: PTFE can be modified with fillers and additives like carbon, glass fiber, or graphite to improve its properties for specific applications.
Suitable for Various Applications
At Polymershapes, we know that finding the right material for your project is essential to its success. Our high-quality Polytetrafluoroethylene meets and exceeds a wide range of industry standards, making it ideal for a variety of applications such as automotive, aerospace, building & construction, bearings & bushings, die cutters, chemical processing, food and beverage preparation and processing, enclosures, heavy equipment, gaskets and seals, milling and mining, machine shops, packaging and conveying equipment, oil and gas, and valves & fittings.
As an industry leader in providing materials for all your fabrication and material processing needs, you can count on us to get the best plastic materials for your needs. Contact us to discuss your PTFE plastic application requirements and project options. Request a quote today.